Thursday, March 16, 2006

March 16

Thank you everyone for your love, support, and advice. This morning I took doxycycline instead of Lariam.

I copied all of your comments, and also the e-mails that came in this week, onto my flash drive so I can spend more time reading them later. I want to respond to each of you individually. To those of you who asked what to pack in a care package, I'll think about it this weekend and post some ideas. Thanks for offering! To those who asked what it's like hearing news about the U.S. from abroad...well, the truth is I don't hear any news. About the U.S. or Namibia or any other place. I don't have t.v. or newspapers, and during my limited time online I don't read the news, I just do e-mail and blogging. So I literally have no clue what's going on in the world. It's kind of nice. I'm sure whatever's going on out there is not good. Did I mention before that Osama bin Laden is a popular cult of personality here? I've seen a bunch of teenagers with Osama t-shirts, and students who decorate their notebooks with photos of Osama along with Britney Spears and 50 cent. In general I've found that Bush is despised and Clinton is loved.

Deb and LRA, thanks for your letters.

Tuesday is Namibian independence day, and we have a 4-day weekend! We're going to go camping at Etosha National Park with a group of friends from WorldTeach. If we get any good pictures of wildlife, we'll post some photos! I have lots of other good photos right now, but I can't post them from this computer. I'll have to wait till I'm at a computer with a faster browser.

Hugs, everyone.

2 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,
I spoke to my Infectious Disease specialist friend - he recommends atovaquone/proguanil, or doxycycline - which is what you've decided to take. Be careful to use sunscreen since doxycline can make you more sensitive to the sun. The concept of Osama and Britney Spears sharing a notebook is a bit mind blowing! Molly & I are going to New York City for a week over her spring break. We plan to explore the city by subway. I'm looking forward to more photos. We love & miss you. Take care. Sue

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you changed medicenes and have a long weekend! I hope you'll feel better now. Looking forward to your pictures. Hope things are going better for you-sounds like things are definitely looking up. It's St. Patrick's Day and everyone is eating corned beef and cabbage. Lovve you and miss you. Love to Inbal. Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home