Thursday, March 09, 2006

March 8

On Saturday we went to a wedding reception here at St. Mary’s. The matron of the mission health center married the local bishop. The groom knows a lot of people in government, and even the president was invited to the wedding, but he didn’t come. We did meet the Minister of Information. The reception was fun. They served lots of food. We finally tried the local staple food, porridge made from millet. It has the consistency of mashed potatoes but it’s a grey-purple color, and it doesn’t have much taste. After dinner, the older women all gathered in the front of the hall. They formed a big circle, and sang songs about their farms. (Some of the kids translated the lyrics for us; most of the songs were about cattle.) During the songs, a few women at a time would go into the center of the circle and dance. They all took turns and everyone got a chance to go in. The dance had a lot of stamping, and at a certain point in the song, the women put the hands on their heads, to imitate cattle horns, and everyone laughed. There was a lot of joyful yelling and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Other than me and a few others, the women were all wearing the traditional Ovambo dress. It has vertical pink and red stripes and a matching head scarf, and they wear beaded necklaces and beaded waistbands with it, and a few people were wearing seashells around their waist, too.

We had fun yesterday afternoon, too. We paid a visit to the bride and groom’s homestead. Initially, we just planned to take a short walk around the village to get some fresh air with our friend Mandume. (Mandume is from Windhoek. He is here for a few months as a computer trainer. We hang out with him a lot.) On our walk we bumped into the chief of Odibo, John, who is a really friendly guy. He walked with us, and told us stories and jokes and he held Inbal’s hand. He wanted to visit the bride and groom with us. So we all went over to their homestead, which has a large yard, a house, and about 6 or 7 huts around the house. The bride and groom and lots of their friends were sitting outside under a tree, drinking some homebrew. They invited us to sit with them, so I practiced speaking Oshinkwanyama as much as I could, and they taught me some new words. They gave us each a big mug of homebrew. It’s a very alcoholic traditional drink made from millet. It has a sour taste. Inbal and I had trouble finishing ours, so when Mandume finished his mug, he drank Inbal’s and mine. When the sun set, John went back to his place, and we walked back to St. Mary’s. It was nice to hang out and make some new friends in Odibo. John asked us to come visit him sometime. He’s a very nice guy.

5 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, who is a really friendly guy...told us stories and jokes and he held Inbal’s hand.

ummm......what? And what's this millet that everything is made out of?

By the way, I had some anxiety and depression when I moved to Peru too, so maybe it is a natural reaction and not just a quick culture shock adjustment. Hopefully switching malaria drugs will help too-- I used those briefly (just a week or two) but can't remember any effect. It sounds like the wedding party helped to start to enjoy the trip. Maybe it's better just to give up on all you thought about in the long build-up of the trip and just try to enjoy what you can and see what happens.

Sorry about the chickens. They would have been delicious but I guess H5N1 thought so too. Do you ever eat any of the cattle or pigs around?

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

debby said...
I know when I travel I always feel vulnerable and my worst insecurities come to the surface. So, I have lots of stories to tell you when you come home. But, in the end you know it's worth it to have this amazing experience. You've been dreaming of going to Africa for years and you had to go. But it sounds like you should try another malaria medicene. Soon you will be on vacation and be able to travel and enjoy some r&r. Then soon after that your parents will be visiting you. There is a lot to look forward to-try to focus on the positive things ahead of you. Take care of yourself first and foremost. I love you and think about you every day. Have you received our letters yet?
Aunt Deb
Sorry I posted this in two places-I have to read these things in order.
11:42 PM

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Jack Muddle said...

(from Kevin McCann) my mom sent your blog address, so I checked in to see how your trip is going - thought I might add another comment to the depression thing - when I came to Berlin initially, not being able to speak the language made me feel almost subhuman... it was especially bad when I didn't have a job and wasn't taking any sorts of classes yet, but it took a long time to start feeling normal. Plus I know a ton of people who came to Berlin with high expectations, got depressed and went home early - I even know one Scottish guy who came to join his German girlfriend and couldn't put up with being in a totally foreign environment for more than two weeks. He flew back home the day his first German lesson was scheduled to begin.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
Your boxes are in the hall so I've been reminded of you a lot. All during December and January I was checking your blog all the time and I am so thrilled to see that you have finally figured out how to access the internet and upload pictures. I'd love to see more of your day to day environment, classes, etc.

Needless to say, work is pretty much the same. A lot of my enthusiasm has worn off, mostly for the people- not for the work though. One exciting bit of news is that Janine is pregnant.

I can totally relate to your emotional rollercoaster experience. I took lariam for about 2 weeks and it made me literally, no exaggeration- hysterical. I was very irrationally sad and anxious. I also had insanely vivid, bizarre dreams, one involving me ordering a meal at a Chinese restaurant and asking for "Christ on the Cross." I was in Brazil at the time and may have been doing a little too much sight-seeing. The medicine is really strong, and some people have no trouble with it- but some do. I'd suggest speaking with a DR and asking about alternatives. People also say that the side effects lessen over time...

I also want to encourage you to hang in there. I am sorry to hear about your grandfather- it must have been incredibly difficult to be away from your family and friends at that time. In Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman there is a part about death where he says something about how death isnt the end, it is just a transformation from one living form to another. I dont believe that love ever disappears.

I remmeber how isolated and alone I felt in Bolivia. I could talk about Bolivia forever, as you know. The thing I eventually realized was that when I was in the country- there were few people I could truely relate to. Not that I didnt want to be friends with them- I did. But many people didnt have space for me in their lives, and wouldnt have had space for me even if I was fluent in Quechua and familiar with all their traditions. I did make a few very close friends when I found a woman my age who didnt have kids and who I could follow around for a few hours every day. And being friends with her made everything so much better- bc we could gossip and talk and do things together. And I also realized that I would normally (in the US) probably be friends with more socially and internationally minded people, not the rural farmers I grew up with in VT. Know what I'm saying? You may find a whole lot more people you can relate to and make friends with if you look among groups of people who are like those you would normally seek out in your regular US-based life. Is that narrow minded of me? It might be. But it did help me make a lot of friends. And have fun!!! Find a group of young women in the closest city to go out with for drinks, dancing, etc. And find a bar foreigners go to- but make friends with the local people who work there. And meet some other foreign aid workers from other countries. I am SO jealous!!!

I've got to run.

Best of luck and lot of love,
Jemima

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS- look at ALL the other bloggers in Namibia!!!! I am sooo impressed!

Jemima

 

Post a Comment

<< Home