February 27
My grandfather died last week and I had a very difficult week. It’s hard to believe I’ll never see him again. He was such a sweet, gentle person and I always had fun just sitting around talking to him, looking at National Geographics, watching the sunset, and eating chili lunches at the Silver Lounge. I feel so far from my family right now. It was tough to miss the funeral and to miss the chance to say goodbye together with the family while sharing our memories of Grandad. I guess the most important thing is that I got to spend a lot of quality time with him while he was alive. I was lucky to live near him, and to have so many years to enjoy his company. I didn’t have as much time with my other grandparents. I’ll miss you, Grandad! Goodbye.
I was very depressed by the end of the week, but we got together with friends who were very supportive, and we spent the weekend in a beautiful place. We went camping on the Kunene River near Ruacana Falls. It was hilly, with mopane savannah along the banks of the river. Although it was hot, I didn’t swim because there are crocodiles and hippos in the river. There was a huge tree between our campsite and the river, with exposed roots that made a great chair. At the time of Grandad’s funeral in Massachusetts, I was sitting on the tree roots, looking out over the river. My friends gave me some privacy and I quietly did my own little funeral for Grandad, to try to say goodbye. I’m still sad but I feel calmer now.
My job has been extremely challenging lately too, but I’ll save the details for e-mail.

4 Comments:
Dear Laura,
The funeral was an amazing tribute to your grandfather. You were lucky to be able to spend so much time with him. We thought of you during the day. Also, you are an incredible writer- I love reading your descriptions.
Luv ya-Aunt Deb
Laura,
I thought of you when I heard the news and I knew you would be sad to be so far away, but I agree with what you wrote about being fortunate to have spent so much time with him.
I'm glad I got to visit Mr. French on our trip a few years ago. Even in those few hours I enjoyed his company and was glad to get to know him. Anthony remembers him too and sends his best wishes.
Love,
Karen
So sorry about your Grandad.
I am so so sorry about your Grandad, what a special guy... remember him at Thanksgiving with the dynamtie story asnd the lads and lassies, what a trip! I know you must be so sad, but what a blessing to have someone so wonderful in your life as long as you did! You make him so proud! I love you and mniss you terribly!
Ruthie
ps the funeral was such a beautiful tribute to your Grandad, Jules and I went in honor of him and you!
Post a Comment
<< Home