Thursday, March 09, 2006

March 5

Thoughts on pursuing dreams in life:

For the past few years, I’ve had this dream of trying to live abroad with Inbal. So much preparation was involved in making the dream a reality. I had so many fantasies and expectations. And now that I’m here living the dream, the reality of it all is that life is very hard and I’m frequently overwhelmed and confused and depressed. That wasn’t part of the fantasy! I guess the bottom line is that life is just hard no matter what. Is it always like this when you actually achieve a big goal? What do my blog readers think? I know many of you have pursued a dream: quitting a job to write a book, having a baby, making a film, finding the love of your life, landing the perfect job, going to grad school, buying a house, reaching retirement...lots of big dreams out there. Let’s hear some comments on this.

Chicken house update:

Total body count to date: 4 dead chickens. If they keep getting sick and dying off, I won’t have to slaughter any of them.

Discipline problems at school:

Last week one of my students stabbed a man outside the mission gate. I heard he used 5 knives, but maybe they meant he stabbed the guy 5 times with one knife. Sometimes communication is a bit confusing. Anyway, I feel sad for everyone involved. The student was actually one of my well-behaved ones. He’s in police custody now. I heard the victim was in such critical condition, he couldn’t be treated at the local hospital and had to be transported to the state hospital. I don’t know if he survived.

3 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pursuing a dream, something really important to u is the scariest thing u can do. but it's also the best thing u can do. better to have done it and have it not turn out the way u imagined than to always think, "what if?". That being said, don't hesitate to ditch if u really don't like it.

stephen

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I am currently pursuing my dream from Nate's room due to its proximity to the bathroom and my intestinal distress. I can't even imagine taking malaria medicine.

As for pursuing dreams and having them not work out as you hoped, I still think it's better than the regret you would feel over not having tried and always wondering - at least that's true for me. My 'failures' never turn out to be true failures, either. It takes time, but it's been my experience that when you look back you'll see that it was necessary for you to make certain changes in order to be ready and open for something bigger and better than what your original dream was.

Hang in there and try to be open to what's happening and the changes to your mindset. It sounds like you've got an incredible support system there - that's excellent. Is there any music you can use to calm yourself when anxiety hits? I know it sounds simple, but if you can get your mind to focus on lyrics instead of whirring the "ohmigod, what have I done?' tune over and over, it might help you sleep.

I'm sending good thoughts your way and I can't wait to see you!

Karen

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know when I travel I always feel vulnerable and my worst insecurities come to the surface. So, I have lots of stories to tell you when you come home. But, in the end you know it's worth it to have this amazing experience. You've been dreaming of going to Africa for years and you had to go. But it sounds like you should try another malaria medicene. Soon you will be on vacation and be able to travel and enjoy some r&r. Then soon after that your parents will be visiting you. There is a lot to look forward to-try to focus on the positive things ahead of you. Take care of yourself first and foremost. I love you and think about you every day. Have you received our letters yet?
Aunt Deb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home