Saturday, November 25, 2006

November 25

I found out that 2 people in my life died this week. Sylvie, my supervisor from my last job in Boston died. I got along really well with her when I worked there, and had been hoping that we could work together again sometime. I knew that she had been sick but hoped she would recover.

This morning I found out that one of my students , Ngonyofi in grade 11, was killed in a car crash late last night. My last memory of her is from Thursday afternoon. I was proctoring the physics exam in her class. She was chatting during the exam and I got mad and yelled at her. I wish my last memory of her involved me being nice to her.

I'm feeling very, very sad today about both Sylvie and Ngonyofi. Both were very special people.

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

I am not much of am e-mailer, so I know I haven't written in a while, but I'm sending mental hugs and hope that you are feeling better. I think that when people pass, they don't take trivial things with them, so if you scolded your student for her exam, that will be left behind and she'll only take memoriews that you cared about her and wanted her to do well.

I had a question for you on another subject. Last night I was at this outdoor mall kind of place in LA called the Grove. It is a huge tourist attraction and has every store you can imagine and tons of lights and a trolley, and all sorts of things that make tourists -- as well as the LA-residents -- go "ooh" and "ahh". To me, it is disgusting materialism and waste, but then I'm probably a communist. At any rate, it made me think about hte culture shock that you and Inbal are going to experience coming back to the States and how excessive and wasteful we are (no wonder forgeiners hate us...) and that got me thinking about the fact that everyone is starting to ask "what do you want for christmas". I usually try to convince people not to get me any thing but to make a donation somewhre and so this year I was thinking that if I can say "I have friends teaching in Namibia and in stead of christmas presents I would like to send their students/village ________________" what would be a good thing to fill in the blank with and is there a way to send it (I know your mail can go missing, but if I send things to an umbrella organization in the states, that might work...)

Any thoughts?

Lots of love to you both.
Em

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Molly's Gang said...

Hi EJ,
Great idea. I'll compose a longer response and e-mail you.
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home